Wednesday 6 April 2011

Motion...bird in a cage

When I was looking in to motion I went back to basics and researched in to the history of animation. I came across something known as a thaumatrope, you may not recognise the name but like me you probably actually know what one is and have maybe even seen one in action. Its basically a circular piece of card with a bit of string attached to both sides. On the front and back of the card there is a picture and when the two strings are twirled quickly the two pictures appear to combined into a single image. This is due to persistence of vision....so it's all an illusion!
I attempted to created one myself, it's so simple to do and back in the day this was when amination  became a form of entertainment. Heres a short video of my thaumatrope (I wasn't very good at twirling the string)



No comments:

Post a Comment